Planning tools and templates
This collection of resources consists of tools to support implementation and project planning. It includes implementation planning templates, program logic models and provides prompts to consider when planning.
The ‘Step-by-step guides to implementation research and practice’ and ‘Theories, models and frameworks’ sections of the directory will help you to identify specific implementation elements to populate your implementation plan and/or logic model.
[Beginner] [Guide] [Video Available] [Academic Papers Available]
Australian Institute of Family Studies
This guide supports the implementation of programs and practices in the child and family service sector. It provides an implementation plan template, an implementation stages – deciding where to start tool, and more.
Designed to prepare health practitioners to plan and undertake a translational research project in their practice, the AH-TRIP online training and education provides support across a range of topics, including planning for change.
University of Colorado, Washington University & University of California San Diego
This functional webtool provides an editable program logic template with examples, as well as a database of searchable dissemination and implementation models and outcomes.
Centre for Community Child Health
Developed with research impact in mind, this guide explores what a program logic is and how to develop one. It also provides a program logic template with guidance and further resources.
- Braithwaite J. (2018). Changing how we think about healthcare improvement. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 361, k2014. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k2014
- Braithwaite, J., Churruca, K., Long, J. C., Ellis, L. A., & Herkes, J. (2018). When complexity science meets implementation science: a theoretical and empirical analysis of systems change. BMC medicine, 16(1), 63. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-018-1057-z
- Durlak, J. A., & DuPre, E. P. (2008). Implementation matters: a review of research on the influence of implementation on program outcomes and the factors affecting implementation. American journal of community psychology, 41(3-4), 327–350. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10464-008-9165-0
- Graham, I. D., Logan, J., Harrison, M. B., Straus, S. E., Tetroe, J., Caswell, W., & Robinson, N. (2006). Lost in knowledge translation: time for a map?. The Journal of continuing education in the health professions, 26(1), 13–24. https://doi.org/10.1002/chp.47
- Metz, A., Albers, B., Burke, K., Bartley, L., Louison, L., Ward, C., & Farley, A. (2021). Implementation Practice in Human Service Systems: Understanding the Principles and Competencies of Professionals Who Support Implementation. Human Service Organizations: Management, Leadership & Governance, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/23303131.2021.1895401
- Powell, B. J., Waltz, T. J., Chinman, M. J., Damschroder, L. J., Smith, J. L., Matthieu, M. M., Proctor, E. K., & Kirchner, J. E. (2015). A refined compilation of implementation strategies: results from the Expert Recommendations for Implementing Change (ERIC) project. Implementation science : IS, 10, 21. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-015-0209-1
- Plsek, P. E., & Greenhalgh, T. (2001). Complexity science: The challenge of complexity in health care. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 323(7313), 625–628. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.323.7313.625